The Victoria University “Hunters” Rugby League Club is a progressive rugby league club offering students a great opportunity to be a part of the greatest game on earth. The club has been running since 2000 and plays in the local Wellington rugby league competition. The club also prepares a side every year to compete in the annual university games, wherever that may be held. 2008 has been the club’s most successful by far, and with a great coaching staff, a willing committee, a growing supporter base, and an ever increasing player base, the club is building to become one of the strongest clubs in the Wellington competition. Certainly this club boasts the only premier side in the Wellington city region. Some of our achievements are:
- first time ever we have been able to field 3 teams
- first time ever the premier team has made the semi-finals
- second time ever the senior reserves have made a final in their grade
- 5 players selected to represent Wellington in the nation provincial rugby league competition
- 1 club member was selected in the NZ Universities team to play in the Universities rugby league world cup
- This same member was honoured with a VUW Blues award for the outstanding Maori sportsperson.